Just a little blog to document my needlework projects and various other things along the way.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Beautiful Bargello

This past Saturday was our monthly Sampler Club meeting, we were unable to meet in November and December we had a little stitching party that I didn't get to attend.  So needless to say I was needing a Sampler Club fix! Oh how I wish it could be every Saturday, I could go over and stitch any Saturday but in Sampler Club we learn things and I love to learn new things. 

This time we learned something I had never done before that I had planned almost from the beginning to incorporate into my sampler.  We learned the Bargello stitch and I can't wait to do this on my sampler, In the mean time I will share my practice Bargello from my doodle cloth.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Bargello is a type of needlepoint embroidery consisting of upright flat stitches laid in a mathematical pattern to create motifs. The name originates from a series of chairs found in the Bargello palace in Florence, which have a "flame stitch" pattern.
Traditionally, Bargello was stitched in wool on canvas. Embroidery done this way is remarkably durable. It is well suited for use on pillows, upholstery and even carpets, but not for clothing. In most traditional pieces, all stitches are vertical with stitches going over two or more threads.
Traditional designs are very colourful, and use many hues of one colour, which produces intricate shading effects. The patterns are naturally geometric, but can also resemble very stylised flowers or fruits. Bargello is considered particularly challenging, as it requires very precise counting of squares for the mathematical pattern connected with the various motifs to accurately execute designs."

All of us worked different variations of this stitch and they were all so beautiful with  all the different colors.  I can't wait to see all of the beautiful samplers once they are completed.  This year our group will be a continuation of last year's club since we all need more time to complete our Sampler's.  I was very relieved that we are continuing as I was not prepared to start a new sampler in March.  Now I have plenty of time to think about what I want to do for my next sampler.  I do know it won't be as large as this one, I wouldn't want to have to start renting out wall space in the homes of my family and friends to display my work.

I will leave you with a few picture's of my two little darlings, Daphne the cat and Maple the English Springer.

11 comments:

  1. I love your work! It amazes me the talent you have. I hope our daughter takes a interest in it. And look at the little pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words, I'm blessed to have a husband that is understanding of my obsession!! Yes I do hope she takes an interest as well, she is going to inherit quite a lot of stitchy stuff when I am gone that will be totally useless to her if she isn't interested in it. I love to see younger girls take an interst in the needle arts at a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, I'm so glad that you commented on my blog so that I could find yours! Your bargello is really pretty. I haven't done it in ages but want to do some on a few samplers--I need to do some refresher work before I begin! Love your ornaments, too.

    Your pets are adorable! English Springer Spaniels are very popular here but too often the owners leave them outside. It's so nice to see your Maple, nicely taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Siobhan!! I really enjoyed working on the Bargello, didn't even want to stop for lunch in class.
      I hear that E.Springers are often stolen in the U.K., I can't imagine! Our Maple is quite spoiled and doesn't like to be alone outside and is with us most of the time unless we go someplace we can't take her. By the way your Duffy is darling!!

      Delete
  4. I wish they could be that close all the time and not fight! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dana the stitch is just beautiful you are so talented! I love your pictures on your blog too! Your pets are precious! Thanks for linking up to "The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post" blog hop!

    ReplyDelete