Just a little blog to document my needlework projects and various other things along the way.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sampler Club Band Sampler

Last year I joined a Sampler Club at my local needle work shop The Village Sampler.  We meet once a month to learn new stitches and techniques and share what we are working on for our Sampler not to mention we have an enormous amount of fun!  Throughout the course of the year we use what we have learned in class and make our own sampler.  I have learned a great deal of new stitches this year such as Montenegrin stitch, Algerian Eyelet, Hardanger, pulled thread embroidery, Herringbone stitch, tent stitch and many more.  I have incorporated some of these into my band sampler already and plan to incorporate more as I go, not sure if I will put all of them on my sampler but they are all on my doodle cloth that just looks a mess.  I will post some photos below of my progress so far.  Needless to say this sampler won't be done before sampler club starts again but hopefully it will be finished and framed in time for the state fair.  I chose a nautical, lighthouse, stormy theme for my sampler, I love the colors of the threads, blues and greens.  

My sampler is being stitched on 28 count Cashel Light Mocha (Nordon Crafts).  The top two band's are two rows of alternating Algerian eyelet's stitched with Gentle Art aged pewter.
 My daughter picked the alphabet rows 3-6 from Blackbird Designs "A Stitcher's Journey p.27 stitched with Valdani Primitive blue.  This was a bear to get centered up and I had to do quite a bit of frogging until I got it the way I wanted it.
Row's 7&8 are two more rows of Algerian eyelet's the same as the top two rows.
Row 9 are whales from Blackbird Designs "A Stitcher's Journey" page 16, stitched with Finnegan's fog Thread Gatherer Silk'N Colors.  The whales have an irredescent white spray coming out of the top of their heads.
Row 10 is two rows of single cross stitch with a diamond design between them that will eventually have beads in between the diamonds.  Stitched with Valdani faded olive and DMC perle cotton 8 color 644.
Row 11 was one of the most aggravating rows to stitch, not sure what this stitch is, I used a gorgeous green varigated silk that had no tag so I don't know what it is.  They look like sea grass.  But this silk didn't want to co-operate with me, I either pulled too tight or not enough, I used a Q-snap and I tried in the hand stitching it and nothing seemed to work out.  It was also really hard to anchor this thread on the back.  I haven't decided if this is going to have to be re-done or not, we will see. 
Row 12 is one of my favorite verses "He maketh the storm a calm so that the waves thereof are still PS.107:29" not sure what thread I used here.  Originally used Valdani faded olive but it didn't show up so I ripped it out and used the thread that was used for the words on the light house.
Row 13 is Hardanger, Kloster blocks with algerian eyelets inside them with doves eyes in the middle of each motif and the ends are ships motif's which I thought went well with my nautical stormy sampler.
Row 14 is a design by D.Morgan called "Through The Storm" that I found in a 1998 edition of For The Love Of Cross Stitch.
This sampler is a little over half-way done, the half way point is in the middle of the light house design.  I have some ideas for what I want to do but I'm not completely certain yet.  I know I am going to do some drawn thread embroidery next.  I will post a picture of my doodle cloth so you can see where I have been practicing the drawn thread embroidery, not sure I am comfortable enough yet though to actually do it on my sampler, EEEEK!
 
A you can see my doodle cloth is kind of a hodge podge of stitches but it is just a doodle cloth.  Wonder what people will think of that mess when someone finds it in a trunk 100 years from now?  Well that's all I can really say about my sampler for now as if I didn't write you a book about it.  LOL! 

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sampler! The bands are divine and the colors are fabulous! I love it! What a unique piece...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Valerie! I have enjoyed working on it and can't wait to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does a wonderful job with all her stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Sampler Dana~~ I love it being so intricate!!!

    Thanks also for visiting my blog and signing up for my giveaway...Are you a NC girl also??? I saw where you love the Outer Banks...It truly is beautiful out there!!!

    Take care and good luck on the giveaway drawing..Faye carolinastitcher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Faye!! I love your blog, so many pretty things!

    I am only a NC girl at heart, we have family in NC and I have visited many times and made wonderful memories there. I am a West Virginia girl, love our mountains and rivers but oh how I long for the beach when I am not there. Hopefully I will make it back there again soon.

    Thank you for entering me in your giveaway drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you dear husband, you know you have to say that, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doodle cloth looks better than anything I ever created! Amazing, Dana!

    Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us at Rural Thursday. Hope you can stop by again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, it's taken many years of practice.

      Delete
  8. Lovely. You do very nice needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such patience. I admire all this work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so impressed. I'm not very good at small detailed work like that!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Rural Thursday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Lisa!! I love to do the small detailed work, I guess I like a challenge, although the pulled thread embroidery was a bit nerve racking. Thank's for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I found you on the Linky hop...I'm following with GFC, but I didn't see the LF. I would love if you stopped by and followed back, so we can stay connected. Lori@ http://www.bleak2unique.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lori, thank you for following my blog!! Your blog is wonderful, so full of fun ideas! I have to ask though, what is GFC and LF?? I am really clueless sometimes, LOL. Somehow my husband accidentally added my blog to a blog hop that he was trying to add his gardening blog to so I don't really know that much about blog hopping and all that so maybe you can fill me in. Sharing a computer gets a little confusing sometimes! Glad you stopped by and hopefully I will get some time today to look around your blog some more. I'm now dying to go to one of those Japanese stores you posted about, how cool!

      Delete
  13. Found you through the new linky followers blog hop. I'm so happy to be your newest follower, it would be great if you follow me back. :)

    And, on Friday I'll be hosting a "What does your blog want to be when it grows up" blog hop with a few of my blog buddies ... have you thought of your blog's hopes and dreams?

    Please check it out here...http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/when-im-five/

    Karah
    thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete