Just a little blog to document my needlework projects and various other things along the way.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spring Flowers, Bird Bottles and Mama Robins

Spring is my favorite time of year, I love everything about it with the exception of pollen and shedding pets, I even love the rainy days.  This time of year is full of new life.  We have a mommy Robin nesting in our front yard in one of our Bradford Pear trees.  I am very concerned that she has nested way to low in the tree, I'm praying that critters don't get her babies.  That happened in our back yard last year and I was devastated! 


In various places around our house we have bird bottles.  We first saw these in Williamsburg Virginia and I fell in love with them!  Bird bottles were discovered in the Colonial area there in Williamsburg and have been reproduced from their 18th century findings.  Small birds will nest in these bottles and are quite fascinating to watch.  Last year a family of sparrows took up residence in one of our bottles and had a piece of white foam that resembled a mattress hanging from the bottle, guess it wouldn't fit through the door of their humble abode.






















These are just a few of our bird bottles, we have bought one every time we have been to Williamsburg VA.  We have bought all but one at the Pottery Factory, which is getting ready to have their big grand re-opening.  The only other place I have seen bird bottles was in Manteo, NC.  It was a blue one hanging on the side of the Roanoke Island Inn, I never did find them for sale but the next time I go I will be inquiring as to where I can find one for our collection.

Bleeding Heart
Crabapple Tree Blooms.




Everything is starting to bloom in our yard.  The Crabapple tree in our back yard is blooming and it is one of the most beautiful trees for having such a crabby name.  I'm really looking forward to the Hydrangeas, Rhododendron, Azaleas and my Roses.  Ahh, there is nothing more beautiful than Spring!!

17 comments:

  1. These are some great pictures! I am gonna share this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are just beautiful! You might want to take a look at Home Goods. Seems like I seen something there similar the last time I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I just came by from Clint's blog. I'd never heard of these before. Lovely to look at and clever in concept. Love seeing them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    Awww the robin in your tree is beautiful..I never heard of the bird bottles..They are a neat idea..You have some great pictures..Thank you for the award..I promise to post to my blog this coming week...Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dana,
    Awwww..The Robin is beautiful...I love all of your pictures...Those bird bottles are cute....Thank you for the award I promise to post it to my blog in the coming week...Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog do you have!!
    And a beautifull photo's you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I am glad that Clint did share these beautiful pictures! I now follow you and know I am going to enjoy this. Nice to meet you.
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for all your kind comments! I am just learning how to use Clint's camera so I am thrilled that you all liked the pictures. However I must admit I didn't take the first picture, I tried and tried to get a good one of mama robin but every time I opened the door she got scared and flew off so I used one that Clint had taken the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from your Hubbys blog. Love your bird bottles.

    The night before last, it got down to 23 degrees and killed off most all the flowers that were blooming in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog. That is just a shame about your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen bird bottles before! We are having lovely weather too, everything looks so much better when the sun is shining :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie everything certainly does look better when the sun is shining, makes me feel better too.

      Delete
  12. I'm a big fan of blue and white willow ware. Your bird house in the last picture is gorgeous! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Becky Jane, thank you for visiting my blog!! Our bird bottles were all purchased at the Williamsburg Pottery Factory in Williamsburg Virginia. We buy one every time we visit, I have two of the blue and white ones the rest are terra cotta some glazed and some not glazed. You can purchase the glazed terra cotta ones through Colonial Williamsburg's website under online shop.

      Delete
  13. Love the bird bottles. I have something similar in my yard . I use old pitchers, most found at thrift shops. The birds love them! We live on 13 acres and I have them all over. I securely tie them to the tees with wire so the do not move or tip!

    ReplyDelete