Just a little blog to document my needlework projects and various other things along the way.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Birds Among Us

I had fully intended to post some photos of the baby robins in my tree last week.  We started with four and after a cold front moved through with temps dropping into the 20's we were left with one little bird.  I really didn't think this little fellow would make it through the night Wednesday, he was lethargic and breathing very heavy.  But his mother knew best and didn't give up on him, she stayed in the nest with him through the night and as the temps began to rise on Thursday morning I noticed the little lone Robin standing on the side of his nest.  He was a sight for sore eyes, he stood on the sides of the nest all day and chirped while his mother returned every little bit to strengthen him with worms.  They spent one last chilly night in their little nest in the pear tree in my front yard.



 The next morning the nest was empty.  I wondered what had become of my little friend, that is until I took my dog out and she discovered a visitor in the back yard.  It took everything I had to keep that little Robin from being my dogs first bird hunt!  The dog chased the little robin back into the front yard where mother Robin was waiting with food but after mother flew off the little Robin tried to follow her by crossing a busy street in front of my house.  Here I was in the street in my pajamas trying to get him to safety.  This little fellow had me a nervous wreck all day that he was either going to be eaten by an animal, hit by a car or a lawn mower.  He was all over the place, back and forth across the street and in and out of my yard and the neighbors yard.  I lost track of him some time Friday afternoon but I would hear his chirps from time to time so I was just sure he was okay.  My hope is that he finally took flight.




With all the bird drama going on around here along with my other daily duties I haven't been able to get any stitching done since Wednesday.  I have been spending quite a bit of time in the back yard with my energetic English Springer Spaniel playing Frisbee.  My poor girl misses having her daddy around so much after he returned to work after 5 months of recouperating from shoulder surgery.  They spent a lot of time outside while he was home working on the garden.  I guess I am going to have to start stitching outside.  I hope everyone had a great weekend, I will leave you with a few pictures of my little darlings I took the other day.

Maple and Daphne, friend or foe?  Maple just wants to play and Daphne just wants to be left alone.

My beautiful Daphne and her cute pink nose.  She loves to be photographed, and she is very photogenic.  I think she knows she is beautiful.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dana

    I love your post today about the baby robin. Such a shame only one survived. Like you I hope he's flown off to start his new life.

    Lovely photo of Daphne and Maple. My little Lily has a pale pink nose just like Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just heartbroken Milly, but I was so happy to see that one of them pulled through.

      Thank you, I got that photo by accident, I was trying to photograph Daphne and Maple got in the shot. It was a good accident though. I love those pink nosed kitties!

      Delete
  2. It was so funny watching you all with that bird! And your photo skills are getting awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really am the worst picture taker, just sometimes all the pieces fall into place.

      Delete
  3. You are a kindred spirit! I have found myself the caretaker of many a lost, wounded, stray or hungry critter. Hope your little robin is happily gorging himself with worms.
    Your pup, Maple, is a cutie and your Daphne is precious! Love her pink nose! ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the little bird is flying now. I can't imagine trying to keep a baby bird from my dogs. Living out in the country our dogs run free. Your dog and kitty are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a cat and dog similar to yours. Our cat was so patient trying to get the dog to play with her, but our dog would run away like the cat had burned her.

    Hopefully our kitty finally succeeded on the other side of the rainbow bridge.

    Have a blessed Sunday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures! You did a wonderful job with the little birds. =)
    the photos of your cat and dog are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maple and Daphne are ADORABLE!!! Oh, and that little robin...so cute. i hope it's okay. When I was in grade school, I found a little baby sparrow that had fallen out of the nest in a tree that was in our apartment complex. The mom wasn't coming back for the baby, so we took the baby sparrow into our apartment. My mom called some animal office (not sure what it was, because I ws really young at the time) and got instructions on how to take care of it. We made a special home for the bird in a cardboard box with a nice towel and a lamp for heat. We fed her multiple times a day with a toothpick. Somewhere my mom has a photo of me feeding the bird. we named her Esmerelda. What's amazing is that she just started flying on her own one day. I mean, it's not like we humans could teach her how to do it ;) :) So once she started flying around our apartment building, we had to let her go. I was sad that day, because she flew off and never came back. Somehow I hope she chirped to the other birds about my mom and I...and our memory lives on in bird lore :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of CAlifornia, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete