Just a little blog to document my needlework projects and various other things along the way.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Dragonfly Sampler

We are having a beautiful spring-like day here, the sun is shining and it's supposed to be a warm day.  I thought today would be a good day to share with you something that I have been working on for the past few months.  I designed a piece based on one of my favorite book series, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  The name of the piece is Dragonfly in Amber.  I really stepped out of my box to do this piece, I have never done stump-work and truthfully I was a little terrified to try to pull this off.  But my determination to make an actual dragonfly with wings that lift from the linen pushed me forward. 




The wings of the dragonfly are made of an amber-gold organza that I couched over jewelry wire and cut out.  His body is made up of roughly 100-150 French knots.  The bands were worked with silk lame braid that has a shimmer to it along with a variegated Caron Collection Waterlilies silk.  There are also amber colored beads in the bands as well as the eyes of the dragonfly and pearl beads between the hearts.  The pearl beads represent Claire's pearls that were Jamie's mothers that he gave her on their wedding day.  One of the bands was worked in Scotch and reverse Scotch stitch to represent Scotland where Outlander takes place.  If you have read Outlander this will all make sense to you.

I have actually made two of these, the first one was a little different; it had a verse where I have placed my initials.  The verse ,by Catullus, was a verse used in the first book when the dragonfly in amber was given to Claire. Then let amorous kisses dwell on our lips begin and tell. A thousand and a hundred score, a hundred and a thousand more.  I can't really share much about the first piece with you, it is a gift for someone so I will keep it under wraps until they have received it. This piece I did for myself and to enter in the original design category in our State Fair.  I had to reduce the size a bit to meet the qualifications of the category.  I wasn't able to make the verse work in a smaller space so I opted to use my initials instead.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out.



I wish you could see this in person so that you could see how it shimmers when the light hits the wings and the silk lame braid in the bands.  I will take more photos after it's been framed.  I hope you all are having a beautiful spring-like day where you are.  Until next time happy stitching!!

4 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I've read those books, too. Wonderful series!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really is a wonderful series of books.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that dragonfly is amazing! So lifelike. At first I thought you had bought a dragonfly embellishment for the piece not actually made it yourself. Kudos!

    I also remember that Catullus quote from Latin lessons at school, I really like it although I can't remember the actual Latin words anymore. The only ones I remember are Dulce et Decorum est from the Wilfred Owen poem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I think a lot of people thought the same thing about my dragonfly. I entered it in to the state fair and we were afraid the judges would assume it was a purchased embellishment. It did win a blue ribbon for it's category so I am quite pleased.

      Delete